The AHA! nomination committee is accepting nominations (including self-nominations) for AHA! officers, including the positions of Secretary, Treasurer, and Vice-President (President-elect). This is a fantastic opportunity to help shape the future of AHA! and further its goal to develop and increase collaboration and communication across the Houston area. Furthermore, serving as an officer provides members with a valuable leadership experience.
All members of AHA! are eligible to run for an officer position, terms are one year. The election will take place at the December meeting (date forthcoming). Please submit all nominations to Emily Vinson, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please see below for pertinent bylaws related to officer responsibilities and elections, complete AHA! bylaws can be accessed on the AHA! website.
Article IV: Organization
- Elected officers of the organization shall be the President, Vice-President (President-elect), Secretary, and Treasurer.
- Termof Office
- Each officer serves a one-year term of office starting after the elections at the December meeting.
- Should an officer other than the President be unable to complete their one-year term, a special election will be held at the next meeting to replace the officer for the duration of the term. Should the President have to leave office, the Vice-President will act as president until the end of the President’s term of office and the following year.
- President coordinates the organization’s meetings; presides at all meetings and seeks members to serve on committees.
- Vice-President assumes the presidential duties in the absence of the President; maintains the membership rolls; and notifies all members of the meetings. The VicePresident coordinates Archives Month activities. The Vice-President also serves as co-signer for bank accounts and other assets of the association.
- Secretary takes minutes of all meetings of the organization and maintains a copy of the current by-laws.
- Treasureris custodian of all funds; receives all membership dues; and reports to the organization at meetings on the financial standing of the organization.
- The President is authorized to establish special committees to work on projects.
- Webmaster and Hospitality are recurring committee positions. Committee members may be confirmed by the President.
- Committees shall report to the membership on their progress at each meeting.
Article V: Elections
- Elections for Secretary, Treasurer, and Vice-President will be held every year at the December meeting.
- A nomination committee consisting of the acting President and at least two members of the organization will nominate members for office. Only members in good standing are eligible for nomination.
- Nominations can be made and seconded from the floor prior to the election of each officer.
- No person shall be elected to any office or named to any position of responsibility who is not present at the said election and who has not freely offered his or her name for the purpose.
- Voting shall be by secret ballot when there is more than one candidate for a particular office.
- Election shall be by a simple majority.