Posted on June 28, 2019 by Meredith Evans | Leave a comment
The Society of American Archivists is committed to advocacy on behalf of our members. In our Strategic Plan, the goal of “Enhancing Professional Growth” is focused on archivists having access to the professional community and resources they need to be successful and effective in their careers. Fair wages and equitable salaries are part of this work and we want to share the results of our ongoing discussions and future activities of SAA in support of this issue.
- Professional support at the Annual Meeting
- Salary Forum: hear a panel of experts participate in an open discussion about salaries in the archival profession and explore potential solutions, including those that place responsibility on institutions and administrations.
- Onsite Career Center: from mock interviews to tips on salary negotiation, seek out mentors who can help you navigate the job market and your professional growth.
- Mentoring Program
- Meet and connect with a mentor who will listen and provide guidance on negotiating and advocating for better pay.
- Job Postings in the SAA Online Career Center
- We strongly recommend salary information be included in all job ad postings.
- “Research Salaries” button on all job ads can help with regional salary range information, even if a job does not include a salary range.
- A*CENSUS II
- An updated data set will illustrate salary ranges per state and by region, helping archivists stay abreast of current salaries across the U.S.
For those attending the 2019 Annual Meeting, join the SAA Council on Sunday, August 4, 12:00 pm – 1:15 pm, in Austin for an Open Forum on Archivist Salaries. This forum will serve as a space for members to discuss the initiatives listed above as well as brainstorm additional ways that SAA can continue to advocate for archivist salaries. Mark your online schedule!