Job Title: Archives Intern
About the Rothko Chapel
The Rothko Chapel is open to the public every day of the year at no charge and successfully interconnects art, spirituality and compassionate action through a broad array of free public programs. Founded by Houston philanthropists Dominique and John de Menil, the Chapel was dedicated in 1971 as an intimate sanctuary. Today it stands as a monument to art, spirituality and human rights.
The Rothko Chapel Archives contains over 400,000 items stored in archival quality boxes and filing cabinets documenting the Chapel’s 44-year. The spring internship will consist of a variety of tasks in support of the ongoing maintenance and strengthening of the Rothko Chapel Archives. The intern will process collections; catalog and process books; help prepare information and collections for research; and perform any other function necessary to the operation of the Rothko Chapel Archive. This internship position reports to the Director of Programs and Community Engagement.
- Process incoming and backlogged collections by accessioning them into the main collection.
- Organizing archival materials
- Re-housing documents in acid-free folders and containers
- Arrange, describe, and manage inventory using FileMaker Pro
- Assist researchers on-site electronically with reference requests
- Lift boxes of no more than 50 lbs.
- Manage the digitization of the collection, using internal and external resources as needed
- Very organized/strong organizational skills is a must
- Must be detail oriented with strong research skills
- Strong communication skills, both written and verbal
- Ability to work independently with little or no supervision
- Ability to work in a team and to prioritize projects
- Goal oriented with exceptional time management
- Competency in Microsoft Office systems
- Experience working in archives or libraries is preferred
- Unpaid/Volunteer Spring Internship (January – May 2017) with the possibility of an extension
- Work an average of 24 hours per week (schedule is flexible)
To apply, please email letter of interest and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
No phone calls please.